COMMITTEE PURPOSE AND SCOPE
The purpose of the Family Selection Committee is to assist potential Partner Families through the application process and make recommendations of families for Habitat homes, as well as to approve families for homes. The committee sets the tone for the relationship with Partner Families and helps to educate the public, Habitat Board members and other committees on the federal Fair Housing Act and Equal Credit Opportunity Act, as they affect the work of Habitat for Humanity.
Family Selection Committee provides support for, interviews and documents
contact with interested families.
Members are responsible for assessing the potential family's need for
shelter, ability to pay, and willingness to partner with Habitat for
Humanity. Members also educate potential
families about Habitat for Humanity.
Committee Members will possess knowledge of either the financial review or the home interview processes (though members are encouraged to cross-train). Family Selection Committee meetings are held monthly, and regular attendance is required. The monthly meetings are the event at which the organization selects future Habitat Homeowners. The Family Selection Committee is charged by the board to make these selection decisions. In addition, periodic trainings will be held at Family Selection Committee meetings so that members can stay updated on legal requirements (including the Fair Housing Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, and local, state and federal information), affiliate operations and activities, and informational updates.
TIME COMMITMENT REQUIRED:
- Serve a one-year term, with a maximum of three consecutive terms
- Attend a minimum of nine monthly meetings per year (year as defined by committee members start-date); meetings last from 1.5 - 3 hours
- Attend relevant trainings (financial review, home interview, etc.)
- Attend a minimum of one Homeowner Applicant Orientation per year
- Attend monthly Family Selection Meetings
- Serve as either a home interviewer, financial reviewer, or both; attend relevant trainings for these positions
- Make fair, legal, and compassionate selection decisions that honor families dreams, history, and realities
- Act as an ambassador in the community for Habitat’s Family Selection Committee
- Select, with the rest of the committee, applicant families for Habitat homes
- Participate in ongoing trainings in order to remain informed about legal issues (Fair Housing, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, etc.) surrounding Family Selection
- Volunteer for at least one Homeowner Orientation per year in order to remain informed about the application process, and program requirements
The Family Selection Committee welcomes any member committed to helping homeowners continue the long-lasting legacy of Habitat for Humanity. Members will have a desire to provide service to the community; have the ability to recognize, request support and/or avoid tasks beyond the limits of personal skills, training, and experience; possess a familiarity with the goals and methods of Habitat for Humanity of NW Metro Atlanta (which can be accomplished through attendance at a Volunteer Orientation session); and show a willingness to follow the policies set forth by Habitat for Humanity of NW Metro Atlanta.
Professional or personal experience in one or more of the following areas is also especially helpful:
- Positive interpersonal communications skills
- Eagerness to work with low-income families
- Experience with human services or affordable housing
- Knowledge or experience with the mortgage lending process or real estate
- Organizational and committee management skills
- Personal finance background and interest
BENEFITS OF BEING ON THE FAMILY SELECTION COMMITTEE
- Being personally rewarded by giving back to the community
- Gaining opportunities to network, meet new friends, and establish professional contacts and references
- Learning and practicing skills related to meeting participation, cross-cultural communication, and community support
- Getting a chance to work on both individual and group projects
- Seeing direct results of hard work and dedication
- Attending Family Selection training and other workshops as available
TO APPLY PLEASE SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING: Send updated Resume and a letter stating why you want to be a part of this committee to firstname.lastname@example.org